Leadership Spartanburg, founded in 1979 by the Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce, is a nine-month course designed to better prepare leaders and volunteers for community service through exploration of issues, challenges and opportunities facing Spartanburg County now and in the future.
Junior Leadership Spartanburg gives junior-level high school students in Spartanburg County the opportunity to have a learning experience outside of the classroom while learning valuable skills that will benefit their leadership endeavors. Click here to learn more about this program.
Leadership Spartanburg Purpose & Objectives
Leadership Spartanburg will prepare participants to work within their own community and the region as effective leaders capable of making decisions.
The main objectives of Leadership Spartanburg are to:
- Identify and select highly motivated, potential community leaders to participate in the program.
- Systematically challenge the participants to become aware of, examine, and respond to the social and economic needs of the community.
- Develop an esprit de corps among the participants, which will provide a common ground for working together on present and future community needs.
- Identify organizational and individual opportunities for community involvement and assist in the placement of participants.
Time commitment: An overnight opening retreat in September, followed by a nine-month curriculum from October through May that focuses on community information and issues.
Tuition: Chamber members: $1,525, non-members $1,925:
How to apply: We accept applications between April 1 - May 31. Scroll down to nominate or request an application by emailing Cindy Teaster or call 864-594-5022.
- Civic Involvement
- Leadership Potential
- Diversity Perspective
- Commitment to the Leadership Program and the community
- Opening Retreat / Team Building
- Spartanburg's History & Where We're Headed
- Fostering Spartanburg's Educational Attainment
- Spartanburg's Community Issues: Challenges & Successes
- Building on Spartanburg County's Economic Excellence
- Utilizing Local Talent to Promote Community Cohesion
- Realizing the Potential of Spartanburg's Quality of Life & Cultural Assets
- Nourishing Our Health & Wellness: Impacting the Local Communities
2017-2018 Meeting Dates
|September 18-19||Opening Retreat|
|October 19||Monthly Session|
|November 16||Monthly Session|
|December 14||Monthly Session|
|January 18||Monthly Session|
|February 15||Monthly Session|
|March 15||Monthly Session|
|April 19||Monthly Session|
|May 3||Wrap Up - Project Presentations|
|May 10||Graduation Luncheon (11:30-1 PM)|