Leadership Spartanburg, founded in 1979 by the Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce, is a nine-month course designed to better prepare leaders and volunteers for community service through exploration of issues, challenges and opportunities facing Spartanburg County now and in the future.
Leadership Spartanburg will prepare participants to work within their own community and the region as effective leaders capable of making decisions. To learn more about the program, see details below.
The main objectives of Leadership Spartanburg are to:
- Identify and select highly motivated, potential community leaders to participate in the program.
- Systematically challenge the participants to become aware of, examine, and respond to the social and economic needs of the community.
- Develop an esprit de corps among the participants, which will provide a common ground for working together on present and future community needs.
- Identify organizational and individual opportunities for community involvement and assist in the placement of participants.
An overnight opening retreat in September 2016, followed by a nine-month curriculum from October through May that focuses on community information and issues.
Leadership Spartanburg tuition for Chamber members is $1495. Tuition for non-members is $1895.
Leadership Spartanburg 2016-2017 Meeting Dates
||Orientation (4-5pm) at the Chamber|
||Wrap Up - Project Presentations|
|May 11||Graduation Luncheon (11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.)|
- Civic Involvement
- Leadership Potential
- Diversity Perspective
- Commitment to the Leadership Program and the community
Session Topics May Include
- Opening Retreat / Team Building
- The History of Spartanburg
- Local and State Government
- Community Health and Social Issues
- Diversity and Race Relations
- Arts, Recreation and Quality of Life
- Growth, Resource Management and Environment
- Economic Development
- Spartanburg's Future and Your Role in It
For information about applying to Leadership Spartanburg, email Cindy Teaster or call 864-594-5022.