Leadership Spartanburg, founded in 1979 by the Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce, is a nine-month course designed to better prepare leaders and volunteers for community service through exploration of issues, challenges and opportunities facing Spartanburg County now and in the future.
Leadership Spartanburg will prepare participants to work within their own community and the region as effective leaders capable of making decisions. To learn more about the program, see details below.
The main objectives of Leadership Spartanburg are to:
- Identify and select highly motivated, potential community leaders to participate in the program.
- Systematically challenge the participants to become aware of, examine, and respond to the social and economic needs of the community.
- Develop an esprit de corps among the participants, which will provide a common ground for working together on present and future community needs.
- Identify organizational and individual opportunities for community involvement and assist in the placement of participants.
An overnight opening retreat in September 2015, followed by a nine-month curriculum from October through May that focuses on community information and issues.
Tuition for Leadership Spartanburg is $1495.
Leadership Spartanburg 2015-2016 Meeting Dates
||Orientation (4-5pm) at the Chamber|
||Wrap Up - Project Presentations|
|May 12||Graduation Luncheon (11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.)|
- Civic Involvement
- Leadership Potential
- Diversity Perspective
- Commitment to the Leadership Program and the community
Session Topics May Include
- Opening Retreat / Team Building
- The History of Spartanburg
- Local and State Government
- Community Health and Social Issues
- Diversity and Race Relations
- Arts, Recreation and Quality of Life
- Growth, Resource Management and Environment
- Economic Development
- Closing Retreat - Spartanburg's Future and Your Role in It
Application requests for 2015-2016 Class are now closed.
For additional information, contact Cindy Teaster at 864-594-5022 for more information.
Leadership Spartanburg Alumni Association
The purpose of the Leadership Spartanburg Alumni Association is to identify community needs and encourage the involvement of its members in civic, community and charitable organizations; to promote the education of its members in issues involving the affairs of the City and County of Spartanburg, South Carolina; and to enhance the leadership skills of its members, in order that they might better serve the community as volunteers and civic leaders. LEARN MORE