Leadership Spartanburg Program
Leadership Spartanburg, founded in 1979 by the Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce, is a nine-month course designed to better prepare leaders and volunteers for community service through exploration of issues, challenges and opportunities facing Spartanburg County now and in the future.
Leadership Spartanburg will prepare participants to work within their own community and the region as effective leaders capable of making decisions. To learn more about the program, see details below.
The main objectives of Leadership Spartanburg are to:
- Identify and select highly motivated and potential community leaders to participate in the program.
- Systematically challenge the participants to become aware of, to examine, and to respond to the social and economic needs of the community.
- Develop an espirit de corps among the participants, which will provide a common ground for working together on present and future community needs.
- Identify organizational and individual opportunities for community involvement and assist in the placement of participants.
Opening retreat in August followed by a nine-month curriculum September through May focusing on community information and issues.
Tuition for Leadership Spartanburg is $1300
Leadership Spartanburg 2014-2015 Meeting Dates:
||Orientation (4-5pm) at the Chamber|
||Opening Retreat - Highland Lake Conference Center, Hendersonville, NC|
||Monthly Session - History (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)|
||Monthly Session - Education (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)|
||Monthly Session - Public Service (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)|
||Monthly Session - Health & Wellness (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)|
||Monthly Session - Local Issues (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)|
||Monthly Session - Quality of Life/Arts (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)|
||Monthly Session - Economic Development (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)|
||Wrap Up - Project Presentations (2:00 p.m.)|
|May 14||Graduation Celebration (5:30 p.m.)|
- Civic Involvement
- Leadership Potential
- Diversity Perspective
- Commitment to the Leadership Program and the community
Session Topics May Include
- Opening Retreat-Focusing on Team Building
- The History of Spartanburg
- Local and State Government
- Community Health and Social Issues
- Diversity and Race Relations
- Arts, Recreation and Quality of Life
- Growth, Resource Management and Environment
- Economic Development
- Closing Retreat-Spartanburg's Future and Your Role in It
For additional information, contact Cindy Teaster at (864)594-5022.