Update (June 19, 2020): The Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce is committed to ensuring public health, and protecting the safety of our upcoming, 41st class of future leaders. The next class of Leadership Spartanburg will likely look a little different in the interest of public health, making it the most unique class we've ever had.
Leadership Spartanburg, founded in 1979 by the Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce, is a nine-month course designed to better prepare leaders and volunteers for community service through exploration of issues, challenges and opportunities facing Spartanburg County now and in the future.
Junior Leadership Spartanburg gives junior-level high school students in Spartanburg County the opportunity to have a learning experience outside of the classroom while learning valuable skills that will benefit their leadership endeavors. Click here to learn more about this program.
Leadership Spartanburg Purpose & Objectives
It’s a great time to live, work and play in Spartanburg, and Leadership Spartanburg gives you a hand in shaping our community’s future.
Is Leadership Spartanburg for you, you ask?
Leadership Spartanburg is for anyone who has looked around our county and felt inspired.
Leadership for anyone who wants to have a lot of fun meeting 40 other interesting, passionate people from all walks of life.
It’s for anyone who has noticed something in our neighborhoods that could be better and wanted to help fix the problem.
Leadership Spartanburg’s approach to community issues is open and honest about the good and the bad. Meetings will challenge you personally and professionally, but challenges are always framed to encourage realistic positive action.
Getting the most out of Leadership Spartanburg requires a long, thoughtful look around as you dig into the program of monthly meetings and experiential small-group learning projects.
The program is a backstage pass to our county – don’t wait to get to yours.
Leadership Spartanburg will prepare participants to work within their own community and the region as effective leaders capable of making decisions.
The main objectives of Leadership Spartanburg are to:
- Identify and select highly motivated, potential community leaders to participate in the program.
- Systematically challenge the participants to become aware of, examine, and respond to the social and economic needs of the community.
- Develop an esprit de corps among the participants, which will provide a common ground for working together on present and future community needs.
- Identify organizational and individual opportunities for community involvement and assist in the placement of participants.
Dates below are tentative and subject to change.
Time commitment: An overnight opening retreat in September, followed by a nine-month curriculum from October through May that focuses on community information and issues.
Tuition: Chamber members: $1,595, non-members $1,995
- Civic Involvement
- Leadership Potential
- Diversity Perspective
- Commitment to the Leadership Program and the community
- Opening Retreat / Team Building
- Spartanburg's History & Where We're Headed
- Fostering Spartanburg's Educational Attainment
- Spartanburg's Community Issues: Challenges & Successes
- Building on Spartanburg County's Economic Excellence
- Utilizing Local Talent to Promote Community Cohesion
- Realizing the Potential of Spartanburg's Quality of Life & Cultural Assets
- Nourishing Our Health & Wellness: Impacting the Local Communities
2019-2020 Meeting Dates
|September 17||Orientation and Opening session 3-7 pm|
|October 17||Monthly Session|
|November 21||Monthly Session|
|December 12||Monthly Session|
|January 16||Monthly Session|
|February 27||Monthly Session|
|March 19||Monthly Session|
|April 23||Monthly Session|
|May 7||Wrap Up - Project Presentations|
|May 14||Graduation Luncheon|